1. Decrease fluid intake from 19:00 h.
2. Do not drink water outside of meals. Water promotes cerebral edema and the need for dexamethasone.
3. Out of meals drink isotonic drinks. It improves hydration and do not increase brain edema.
4. Drink water only during meals.
5. Avoid alcohol. It promotes angiogenesis and is a vasodilator. Increases brain edema.
6. Take dexamethasone in a single dose at 6 a.m. (except when given EV). It's just as effective. The effect of dexamethasone lasts 36-54 h. This respects the circadian rhythm of cortisol. It helps to sleep better.
7. The following natural products help to decrease brain edema:
a. Green tea (Camellia sinensis) Green tea leaves stand out for their diuretic properties, it is also rich in chlorogenic acid that helps lower blood sugar levels. It has purifying, draining and diuretic action. Is very active against glioblastoma. Xie, Chao-Ran, et al. "Epigallocatechin Gallate Preferentially Inhibits O⁶-Methylguanine DNA-Methyltransferase Expression in Glioblastoma Cells Rather than in Nontumor Glial Cells." (2018).
b. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba). It contains kaempferol. Ginkgo is one of the oldest trees that exists, stands out for multiple healthy properties, among them are its circulatory actions thanks to its flavonoids. It improves both central and peripheral circulation, making irrigation of the whole body favored. This compound has shown antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-tumor activities. RAJENDRAN, Peramaiyan, et al. Kaempferol, a potential cytostatic and cure for inflammatory disorders. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2014, vol. 86, p. 103-112.
c. Ortosiphon (Ortosiphon stamineus) This is one of the most potent diuretics, its action helps us to mobilize liquids and thus eliminate them more easily. The feeling of tired legs, swelling in the ankles or varicose veins will be reduced. Inhibits cancer stem cells. Park, Jungdae, et al. "TOF-SIMS analysis of an isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 mutation-associated oncometabolite in cancer cells." Biointerphases 13.3 (2018): 03B404.
d. Pineapple (Ananas comosus) The homonymous fruit of this tree is one of the fruits with a more powerful draining action. Bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme helps improve digestion, but it is also useful in cellulite as it helps to mobilize the fats that have accumulated. Its high potassium content is what makes it so good at eliminating liquids. Inhibits invasive properties of glioma cells. Wali, Niaz. "Pineapple (Ananas comosus)." Nonvitamin and Nonmineral Nutritional Supplements. Academic Press, 2019. 367-373.